Sunday, March 6, 2011

One Shining Moment

It's nearly two in the morning, and I was just sitting here in bed, writing a bunch of stuff in my head. So I thought I would just get online and do a little bloggin'. Yes, I haven't watched the last two episodes, but Oprah has been so kind as to give me a little break here. Thursday and Friday were repeats, and all next week we get repeats, too. Sweeps is over until May, so I guess Oprah is on a bit of a hiatus. That's fine with me, since I need the opportunity to catch up on what I've missed.

Did you guys see the Diana Ross episode? I thought I was going to hate it, but I actually rather enjoyed it. Oprah was at her realest here, because she really loves Diana Ross. I guess Ross was sort of a pioneer for black women, including Oprah, even though Oprah does not have backup singers. And yes, I'm call the Supremes "backup" singers, which I sort of know would be a point of contention for those other two women, since they don't love that Ross was the one to make it big. Go ahead -- name another Supreme. I dare you. That's why they're the backups.

Oprah was in awe of Diana Ross, and teared up more than once while talking about what Ross's success meant to her when she was growing up in Mississippi. And then Ross sang to Oprah, and it was pretty moving.

On my 20th birthday, I went to see Wynonna Judd at Irving Plaza in New York. My boss at my work study job at NYU had a side job at the venue, and he got me a VIP pass. I spent the concert standing between the New York Times reviewer and Ashley Judd. The NYT lady asked me a million questions because she basically didn't know a thing about Wynonna. Two days later she wrote a not-so-great review of the show. I was not pleased.

During the show, I was certain that Ashley Judd was watching me. We both had to look to the right to see the stage, and since she was on my left, I kept reminding myself that she had to be looking in my direction in order to watch the show. But I was still convinced she was looking at me. After the show, Ashley was sitting down, enjoying a beer, and I went up and introduced myself. She said it was nice to meet me, and then said ten words I'll never forget as long as I live, or until I get Alzheimer's: "I really enjoyed watching you rock out to the show."

Because she was watching me, folks. And I fucking knew it.



Then Wynonna came out to talk to the handful of people in the VIP area. I had written her a letter before the show, which I had placed in an envelope and intended to give her if I was able to meet her. Because I was 20 and also a moron. When I introduced myself to Wynonna, I said, "I wrote you this letter because I didn't think I'd be able to speak. Right now I can't even remember my own name."

She said, "I understand. I felt the same way when I met Bonnie Raitt."

Long story short: I bet that's sort of close to how Oprah felt when Diana Ross was singing to her.

Incidentally, I took pictures with both ladies that night. You will never see those pictures.

And I did give Wynonna that letter. Strangely, she never wrote back.

Also, one time I saw a movie with Diana Ross. It was at The Grove in Los Angeles for either Superman Returns or Ray. I honestly can't remember which movie it was, though I somehow know it was one of those two. I'll let the racists in the crowd make the joke about which one Ross was more likely to be seeing.

My friends were all waiting in line outside the theatre, and I went up to pick up our tickets at the kiosk. As I walked back to the line, I passed Diana Ross. I told my friends, "Diana Ross is seeing the movie with us." They all looked up and saw the hair and assumed I was just making a joke about someone with that style of hair. Then she turned around, and they all realized that I make better jokes than that, and that it really was Diana Ross.

All of Diana's five children came on the show and talked about what a normal life they had. And unlike with the Trump family, I actually believed the Ross kids.

Monday, Oprah was live from the Kodak Theatre, even though she had a "cold" and her voice sounded awful. I'm guessing she actually just had a nice time at some after-parties the night before, so good for her.

It was a bit of a weird show, especially since at one point the crew began to play music to get Oprah to go to commercial break. She was (rightly) pretty appalled that they would play her out on her own show.

She mostly just interviewed a few Oscar winners here and there. Melissa Leo was adorable, and ridiculously excited to meet Oprah, so I loved that. Real is best. Be honest about your feelings, people. They don't lie. Leo was the only standout for me, though at the end Katy Perry did sing her song "Firework" with those kids from P.S. 22 in New York who sang at the Oscars. That was sort of a sweet moment.

About the Oscars: I was able to watch bits and pieces, but just barely. For whatever reason, ABC was the only channel I could not get clearly through my antenna that night, which meant I was basically only able to understand every third word. I only cared about one category, though, so when that one came up, Katie stood on her tiptoes, holding the antenna in the position that gave us the best chance to hear the two words I was looking to hear. I heard them, I cried, and I turned off the television.

I'm not trying to be too deliberately cryptic. I'll post the moment I cared about, and tell you that the two words I wanted to hear occur at exactly 1:14 into this video. I had a tiny, tiny hand in the costumes for Alice in Wonderland, but it was a huge part of my life for half a year, and this was a good moment.




It is now 2:21 in the morning, and I'm going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment