Tuesday, September 28, 2010

9/27/10 -- Celebrity Dream Jobs

This is the type of episode of Oprah that I just don't understand. I mean, this was mind-numbing. I hate that I've taken on the role of cynic here, but...okay, actually I don't hate it. I kind of like it. But I guess it could get boring after a while. I just don't know any other way to view this episode.

And here's why: The problem of showcasing celebrities and their dream jobs is that it's just so condescending. Oh, I'm Tony Danza, and I want to be a teacher! So I'll get paid to do a reality show about it, and when I hold a poetry contest for the kids, I can buy the winners Flip cameras. All teachers can do that, right?

Serena Williams likes doing nails. And to be fair, she seems to be taking it seriously, in that she has been taking classes to become a certified nail technician. Of course, most of the people in her classes probably don't have a deal with OPI to attach their names to a line of nail polish. Serena says there are colors for each of the four events in the tennis Grand Slam. "It's like a Grand Slam collection." Okay, is it "like" that, or is it maybe actually called "The Grand Slam Collection"?

Angie Harmon wants to really be a homicide detective, though I think she'll probably be sticking with the more lucrative career of playing one on television. So she went to some forensic training place in Tennessee and...blah, blah, blah. Does anyone care? Seriously. Who watches her show on TNT anyway?

Any one of these three could leave his/her real job, and go live the dream job, without a problem. Tony Danza loved making a difference in those kids' lives for a year. Well, okay. So, go back and do it again. Maybe not for the cameras. Angie Harmon wants to be a detective. So, take a break from Hollywood and apply to a police academy. Oh, wait. You're saying this was only your "dream job" because it helps to publicize the show on which you play a homicide detective? Gosh, I hadn't thought of that.

I took a few other notes during this episode, but I can't even handle trying to digest them and give you a breakdown. Perhaps it's the sad state of my bank account, or the fact that I can't get a single person to even acknowledge that I've sent in a résumé, but I just can't get giddy over celebrities getting to play pretend.

And later this afternoon, it's Jenny McCarthy talking about Jim Carrey, and Terry McMillan talking about her gay ex-husband. Finally, some substance!

2 comments:

  1. I had the same issue with this show it is so belittleing to watch these actors take on "real world" jobs and get paid for it twice as much as those who struggle to do it every day. I can't stand to see it! I totally agree with you "just go do it then" and don't get paid to be on tv and think your entertaining us cause your not..I had to delete it from my DVR right way the first time I say Tony Danza cry I threw up a little in my mouth. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Angie, I don't think these would be their dream jobs if they got the salary that went along with it. How many high school teachers get as much as Tony Danza did? I also threw up a little when Angie Harmon was on, how many times has she played a dectective and still can't get show to last on TV. I don't see reality in any of these peoples lives.

    ReplyDelete