Thursday, September 16, 2010

Serious Face

Goodness. And I thought writing about yesterday's show would be difficult. Somehow I managed to find at least a little humor in an AIDS controversy, though I'm sure you'd agree there was a bit of "serious Erin" involved in that post. But today, Oprah just went ahead and did a show that made it very difficult for me to be snarky in any way. I mean, I'll probably find an inappropriate comment or two, and throw them into the mix, but don't expect much.

Today's show just appeared to be a smorgasbord of current events, and not a one of them was pleasant or uplifting. Come on, Oprah. Current events don't always have to be horrific and tragic. Couldn't you have found a story about a panda being born somewhere, or about some town coming together to get in the Guinness Book of World Records for "world's largest chocolate chip cookie?"

First up was the September 1 hostage situation at the Discovery Channel. Really odd choice for a story, as I really don't think most people even remember this happened. And it was just about two weeks ago. I saw something about it when it was happening, then saw that only the terrorist had been killed, and I forgot about it instantly. But Oprah thought it was still topical, I guess, so we got accounts from two of the men who were held hostage in the lobby by a crazy guy who was armed with guns and bombs. I guess this guy was angry that the Discovery Channel hadn't saved the world yet or something? I don't know.

All I can say is the hostages were boring. I mean, I'm certain it was a terrifying experience for them, but they didn't really make for compelling television. Just a lot of soft-spoken, choked-up talking about having to lie on the floor for four hours, wondering if they were going to survive. Again, horrible for them, but I would have changed the channel very early on if I hadn't decided that I'm suddenly morally obligated to watch every second of this final season.


Toward the end of the interview with the hostages, Oprah happened to mention that she's partners with the Discovery Channel, and they have something to do with that OWN network that's starting up someday soon. So I guess that officially explains why this workplace shooting made Oprah's show, above all the other workplace shootings that happen in this country all the damn time. You know, the ones where people are actually killed.

Moving on to the next tragedy. This time we learned all about Shaquan Duley, the 29-year old mother of three who suffocated two of her children, then strapped them into a car and drove it into a lake, hoping to make the whole thing look like an accident. Oprah had the family and their lawyer on the show, and they were predictably devastated by the events of the last month or so of their lives. Oprah cried, the family cried, and no one has any answers as to what exactly made Duley snap so abruptly and dramatically.

And I certainly have nothing funny I can say about that situation. I will say that there's probably a larger issue there, something about child abuse or depression or whatever, but it's not one I'm willing to tackle in this post.

The final story was one that I hear a lot about up here in the Pacific Northwest. Three months ago, a little boy named Kyron Horman disappeared. Everyone seems to think his stepmother did something, or at least knows who did, but there's not enough evidence anywhere, so the case has just stalled. Not that the lack of progress has stopped the local news up here from giving us a Kyron update virtually every night.

Oprah had on Kyron's parents, who told us essentially that there's no news, but they think the stepmother did it. So, exactly what we already knew. Hard hitting stuff, Oprah. Oh, and the parents also expressed that they think Kyron is still alive. Frankly, I think that's a bit delusional, but I'm not going to begrudge parents wanting to believe in that tiny thread of hope.  I will get angry with the father, though, because of what he chose to wear on national television. I realize that your son is missing, and you want to get the word out about him. That's why you're on Oprah. Maybe you don't know, but she has a pretty big audience. So you don't really have to wear the t-shirt that is printed with the "missing" poster for Kyron. Oprah will tell people what they need to know. So put on a collared shirt, for god's sake.

Huh.  What do you know? I found some snark.

I was a little worried about how I was going to write this one, and while talking about it, Katie referred to Oprah as my "hero." I objected, but Katie couldn't be stopped, and began to sing "Wing Beneath My Wings." But she messed up some of the notes, so I quickly fired that shit up on my computer (because, yes, I own the soundtrack to Beaches; what of it?). And just to make the moment all the more poignant, I jumped over to my iPhoto and put up this photo, which I had taken during the show this afternoon, after I had paused it (probably because I needed to change a diaper or something) on the perfect shot that shows you just how seriously Oprah took today's episode:


And we serenaded that photo. For the entire length of the song. It was absurd, but it paints a pretty good picture of just how quickly Oprah can change a person. For the better? That remains to be seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment