Monday, September 27, 2010

You're Not the Boss of Me, Tony Danza

I had every intention of watching Oprah today. But 8:45 pm rolled around, and it had been a terrible, awful, no good, very bad day. And the last thing I wanted to do was turn on the television to watch Oprah.

But I want you to know that I made the effort. I watched maybe the first ten minutes, so I gave it a good shot. But then I saw Tony Danza (who, according to Oprah, last appeared on the show in 1996, when he was "riding the high" from Who's the Boss, even though that show went off the air in 1992) living his "dream job" of teaching tenth grade English for a year. And he swore he was going to do it anyway, before his friend the television producer suggested it might make a good reality show. Then Oprah showed us a little snippet from that show, in which Danza got in trouble from the principal for not signing in on time. And the whole thing was so obviously staged and hard to watch. Sorry, Tony. You might have been able to fool Angela Bower, Mona, and Jonathan into thinking you were really a maid, and not just a sad, washed-up baseball player who was essentially living in his van, but you're not fooling me.

That's a hardcore Who's the Boss reference, for those who don't know. Katie.

So that's when I gave up. Just couldn't take it. That means I'll finish watching in the morning, and hopefully have a post up by midday. Sorry to disappoint.

1 comment:

  1. Dear "Watching Oprah" Readers,

    I totally got the hardcore Who's The Boss? reference. When Erin read it aloud to me (go ahead, get jealous; she reads all the posts aloud to me), I sat in silence, marveling at her knowledge of the backstory. Chick knows her Tony Micelli. And every single word of the theme song. Still.

    But I swear I got the reference.

    Swear,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete