Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Ingrid Betancourt

Colombian woman. Kidnapped and held hostage in Colombian jungle for six and a half years. Survives, and gets rescued (dramatically) by the Colombian Army. Reunited with her daughter and son.

And that's it. What else can I write? The woman, Ingrid Betancourt, kept reminding me of Celine Dion, both in looks and the sound of her voice, which I thought was odd until we learned that she lived in France. But she was running for president of Colombia at the time of her kidnapping, so I don't entirely understand the national ties. I do know that she speaks fluent Spanish. And presumably French. I also know that, despite this harrowing ordeal, the story of which was much more engrossing and compelling than that of the two Discovery Channel hostages, Oprah never once referred to Betancourt as a "warrior woman."

Oprah, I doubt you will ever cease to confound me.

Halfway through the show, Katie yelled out from the kitchen, "Maybe when it's over, she'll sing 'Power of Love.'"

No such luck.


Tomorrow: An American held hostage in Iran tells her story!

Good lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment