Tuesday, October 26, 2010

10/25/10 -- The Cobles

I know I broke rule #5, but I swear I had a valid excuse. It was a rough night, to say the least, so writing this post wasn't exactly high on my list of priorities.

I don't know what to say anyway. Most of the episode focused on Chris and Lori Coble, who lost all three of their children when a big rig slammed into the back of the family minivan. The children were Kyle, 5, Emma, 4, and Katie, 2. Tragic story, to say the least.

Oprah had them on the show because she wanted people to know that no matter what you're going through, you can always find a way to get through it. It's a good message to hear, and I guess if the Cobles can survive what happened to them, the rest of us can survive what we're going through, too.

Three months after the accident, the Cobles decided to have more children. Seems a little soon to me, but who am I to judge? Apparently they got pregnant right away, because nine months later, almost a year to the day after the horrific accident, Lori Coble gave birth to triplets. Two girls and a boy.

Oprah called it a miracle. I think the miracle is lessened because the Cobles had to use in vitro, and were therefore more likely to have a multiple birth, but it's still pretty cool that it ended up being triplets, and that they ended up having two girls and a boy again.

The last third of the episode was devoted to Colin Goddard, who is a survivor of the Virginia Tech massacre on April 16, 2007. Goddard was shot four times, and now he's become a sort of gun control advocate. He's part of a documentary called Living for 32 (named for the 32 people who died at VT, as well as a reference to the 32 people who die, on average, every hour due to gun violence in the U.S.), in which he traveled to different gun shows to illustrate how easy it is for someone to buy a gun. In some cases, the seller did not even require Goddard to show a driver's license to purchase an AK-47. I have some opinions on guns, which coincidentally I wrote about right after the Virginia Tech incident.


Today: America's Worst Cooks. Quite a change of pace from Monday's episode. I'll take it.
 

1 comment:

  1. three months is VERY fast, I wouldn't be able to do that.

    ReplyDelete