Thursday, October 14, 2010

Sister Wives

Before I even started this episode, I wrote down a note that said, "Polygamists screw things up for the gays." And after watching the episode, I worried about how I would be able to write anything negative about polygamy, knowing full well that plenty of people connect the two "lifestyles," since both are considered non-traditional. You know the drill. A politician rants about how legalizing gay marriage will lead to legalizing polygamy, then legalizing sex with children, then allowing people to marry goats, and so on.

I'm always against the "slippery slope" defense, which seems to say that once we make one law, we won't be able to stop ourselves from making the next one down the line. Because remember how making it a law to wear your seatbelt in the car led to the law that required every human being to wear a helmet at all times of the day, even while sleeping?

No? You don't remember that? Probably because it doesn't make any sense. Kind of like the idea of a human legally marrying a goat. And like how criminalizing murder doesn't lead to the criminalization of giving someone a dirty look. Laws are established for a reason, and since our particular constitution is a living document, it allows for the possibility that society changes, so the laws might have to change with it.

Second, I can't say for sure that I'm totally against the idea of legalizing polygamy. If consenting adults of legal age want to call themselves married, I don't understand the problem. The fact of the matter is that the government shouldn't be involved in marriages in any way. It's one thing to say that the government needs to protect the children.  That's fine, and if polygamy is doing a lot of damage to children (which I think it probably is, which is why I can't come out and just say that I am absolutely for its legalization), then the government should probably have a say. But if the kids are all right, what business does the government have in getting involved in any marriage between any consenting adults?

The best part of all of this is that those who are often most against non-traditional marriages are those who claim to be a member of a political party that believes in less government interference in a private citizen's life. By their own logic, if you want to take your gun with you everywhere, and you want your church to be tax-exempt and you want to be able to protest funerals and not hire gay people for jobs, that's all well and good, and the government shouldn't get a say. But if you want to marry someone of the same sex, or have more than one spouse at a time, well, you're going straight to hell. And before you get there, we'll make sure you are never treated as a full citizen under the law.



All that said, I hate that polygamists are ever, ever lumped into the same category as gay people. Because, as Katie said toward the end of today's episode (remember how this blog is about Oprah?), "This is so twisted. I'm judging."

And just because I feel like adding this here: If I walked into a Mormon temple (I'm using them as an example because this episode was about them, but the analogy works for any church) tomorrow with a guy who was, like me, not Mormon, and asked if I could get married there, the elders would say no.  They might offer me the option of converting if I so chose, but otherwise they would send me on my way. And they would be well within their rights to do so. If gay marriage were legalized, and I walked into a Mormon temple with a non-Mormon girl and asked to get married there, the elders would still say no. And they would still be within their legal rights to do so, because a church has always been, and will always be, allowed to decide who gets married in its place of worship, or by one of its clergy. Which means that any argument that claims that legal gay marriage somehow infringes on the religious rights of others is absolutely incorrect, and the people who spread those lies are simply fear mongering. And they should be ashamed.

So, yeah. Once again, back to the show. I think these people are weird. I think the dude is a sex addict, and the women have daddy issues. Two of them were raised in polygamist homes, so it's unfortunately all they've ever known. Not surprising that they would make that choice as adults.

The guy is Kody. His wife of 20 years is Meri, his wife of seventeen years is Janelle, and his wife of sixteen years is Christine. And he has maybe the stupidest hair you will ever see on a grown man. Someone recently said he looks like "the guy from Dumb and Dumber," but somehow it's even worse than Jeff Daniels' haircut in that movie. I don't know how to describe it, other than maybe as a bowl-cut mullet, and I didn't take a picture of my screen because I couldn't be bothered. Google it.

So, these people all live together. They have thirteen children together, and the fourth wife, who just entered the picture five months ago, brought three children of her own along for this wild ride. They all wanted to do their TLC show because they wanted to show that they're not so different from the rest of the world. Also, they got paid a bunch of money, so that didn't hurt. But that, shockingly, went unmentioned.

In case you're wondering, Kody only gets to have sex with one woman at a time because, as Meri put it, "[They] don't go weird."

Well, good. We wouldn't want things to get weird.

I didn't know what to make of Oprah during this episode. She seemed rather intrigued by these people for the majority of the show, but you could also tell that she didn't think much of them overall. There was a fair amount of condescension involved, but I can't really blame Oprah for that. I would talk to these people exactly the same way.

At one point, Oprah said, "I don't watch television as a rule," but that she might consider tuning in for this show. Okay. Remember how much I loved Oprah yesterday because of all the poop talk? Strike all that. I am no longer in love. I am so, so annoyed by people who are so patronizing when it comes to television. I'll grant you that there is a great deal of crap on television, but it doesn't make you some fucking genius just because you decide that television is beneath you, or that having cable is too "extravagant" for anyone's lifestyle. I love television. I think there are amazing things to watch on that crazy contraption, and I don't care if you think I'm somehow less intelligent because I choose to watch.

Ever heard of the phrase "biting the hand that feeds you," Oprah? You might want to look it up.

Also, remember how much you talked about loving Modern Family? I know you had to point out to all of us that you download it from iTunes and watch it on your iPad, but that still counts as watching television.

Oh, and of all the shows to watch, this reality show that showcases a family exploiting their "religious belief" for the sake of fame and fortune is the one you would choose as an exception to your "no television" rule? That's like saying you're anti-drug, but then admitting that you do heroin when you get the chance.

Back to the show. Toward the end, as the women talked more and more about how they loved the "sisterhood" in their situation, I thought that maybe there are some mommy issues at work as well. Bottom line is, I think these women have some serious self-esteem problems, and Kody has taken big-time advantage of that.

Also, despite the fact that apparently all of these people are Mormon, and they believe in the fundamentalist part of the teaching that says that plural marriage is friggin' sweet, I never once heard them say a word about how their faith plays into this. It's weird, because you would think you'd hear them talking about the basis for this decision. Now, maybe that's just because Oprah didn't ask the right questions, or maybe it's because the religion doesn't really matter to them that much at all. Or maybe they mention it plenty on the TLC show. I don't know. It was just a little odd.

At the end, Oprah brought on four of the teenage children that are a product of these marriages. It was less compelling than you might think. But Oprah did ask if the kids see enough of their father, considering he's spread pretty thin. One girl said, "He used to be gone all the time, but lately he's been around a lot." Then the son explained that they recently moved into a new house, which means Kody doesn't have to travel as far for work. No mention of who paid for this new house, which has three interconnecting apartments inside, but something tells me TLC thought it might be a much more entertaining show if this father, the sower of the seed, could actually be on camera interacting with his family.

These people are weird. I hate that they're getting publicity. I refuse to watch the TLC show, even out of morbid curiosity.

But, if TLC wants to come pay me and Katie to be on a reality show about being poor, struggling, gay moms, just tell me where to sign.


Tomorrow: American heroes who happen to be women. And poor. Or something.

9 comments:

  1. I dont think the argument from people is that they feel being gay/gay marriage infringes on their right to religion/religous rights, etc....but that its wrong according to their religous doctrine. At least thats the arguments I've heard.
    Clever blog site, even if it is about Oprah.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, thanks for reading.

    Second, yes, many churches do believe that homosexuality is against religious doctrine. But so are things like adultery and divorce, and you don't see huge campaigns waged to get either of those two sins outlawed. The anti-gay philosophy is unique in that way. Many of the "faithful" believe that because something goes against their beliefs, it's okay to make that something illegal. And for whatever reason, it's become acceptable to put anti-gay legislation up for a public vote. It's the majority deciding the rights of minority, which is antithetical to everything upon which this country was founded.

    But I could go on and on. And this post is about crazy polygamists. I'm sure there will be another opportunity this season for me to spout off about gay rights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is absurd that people even watch this crap. We will probably eventually find out it was all staged (as most reality tv is). Sorry if you thought it was real. You probably believe in santa too.

    Side note: If Oprah is going to own her OWN network why in god's name is she trying to sound like watching TV is something only fools would do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How a woman could sleep with a man that has two other wives is beyond me. All it is is a glorified form of adultry, and that is demeaning to the sanctity of marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched two episodes of the show and it was even more sickening than i expected. The women are willing victims of abuse. Lifetime aired a movie recently-the title escapes me. Anyway the young wife in the movie said her husband had not agreed to take an additional wife because he loved her. That says it all.
    Still Reading
    Cheryl in Kansas City

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know no one who's posted here will probably read this, but...

    It makes me sad to see people putting something down, especially when it comes to consensual adult relationships... Maybe I'm biased because I'm polyamorous and think it's totally possible to have ethical relationships with more than one person, though.

    Just to go over some points...

    "and if polygamy is doing a lot of damage to children (which I think it probably is, which is why I can't come out and just say that I am absolutely for its legalization)"

    Hate to bring up the gay thing, but people say gay parents screw up kids, too. The fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter how many adults you have in your life as long as they are responsible, non-abusive, loving people. There are possible issues, but as long as they're being honest and responsible with the kids, they should end up plenty normal... more normal than, say, a child that was actively abused and/or lived in an abusive household.

    "Two of them were raised in polygamist homes, so it's unfortunately all they've ever known. Not surprising that they would make that choice as adults."

    1. Do all kids who grow up in abusive homes become abusive?
    2. Do all kids raised in Catholic homes become Catholic?
    3. Do all kids raised in same-sex homes become gay?

    I mean, here's where having watched the show comes in handy. All adults on Sister Wives have staunchly said that they want their kids to be happy no matter WHAT path they choose, and one child said outright that she wants a monogamous relationship. No one had a fit over that, and seem plenty happy to support her in that.

    Being poly... You either are or you aren't. It takes a certain sort of person to be okay with that, and being raised in that sort of household is NOT going to do it.

    Nor is having "daddy issues". That's just a tad cruel to say... Again, hate to bring it up, but don't bigoted jerkwads say that about lesbians?

    Also, consider this: unless he said he has sex with each woman every night, how does anyone know he's a "sex addict"? My partner and I sleep together every night but we certainly don't have sex every night. And if we did, how is a monogamous person having sex every night with one partner any different than a poly person having sex with a different partner every night? It might be with extra people, but that to me doesn't make one a sex addict.

    "There was a fair amount of condescension involved, but I can't really blame Oprah for that. I would talk to these people exactly the same way."

    ... Good to know? :/

    "I think these women have some serious self-esteem problems"

    Why? Just because they share a partner? Because that alone really isn't proof of low self-esteem. IMO, a girl (or guy!) who hops around from partner to partner each time something "better" comes along has more issues than a person who admits they are poly and works hard to take care of their family responsibilities.

    As for taking advantage... how? One monogamous relationship is a lot of work. If you have four partners, not only do you have four relationships to worry about... you also have to worry about them all getting along with each other, and worry about them getting along with the kids, AND worry about the kids all getting along.

    It's not easy. Period. And it's not something a person goes into just to get laid some more.

    (cont)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know no one who's posted here will probably read this, but...

    It makes me sad to see people putting something down, especially when it comes to consensual adult relationships... Maybe I'm biased because I'm polyamorous and think it's totally possible to have ethical relationships with more than one person, though.

    Just to go over some points...

    "and if polygamy is doing a lot of damage to children (which I think it probably is, which is why I can't come out and just say that I am absolutely for its legalization)"

    Hate to bring up the gay thing, but people say gay parents screw up kids, too. The fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter how many adults you have in your life as long as they are responsible, non-abusive, loving people. There are possible issues, but as long as they're being honest and responsible with the kids, they should end up plenty normal... more normal than, say, a child that was actively abused and/or lived in an abusive household.

    "Two of them were raised in polygamist homes, so it's unfortunately all they've ever known. Not surprising that they would make that choice as adults."

    1. Do all kids who grow up in abusive homes become abusive?
    2. Do all kids raised in Catholic homes become Catholic?
    3. Do all kids raised in same-sex homes become gay?

    I mean, here's where having watched the show comes in handy. All adults on Sister Wives have staunchly said that they want their kids to be happy no matter WHAT path they choose, and one child said outright that she wants a monogamous relationship. No one had a fit over that, and seem plenty happy to support her in that.

    Being poly... You either are or you aren't. It takes a certain sort of person to be okay with that, and being raised in that sort of household is NOT going to do it.

    Nor is having "daddy issues". That's just a tad cruel to say... Again, hate to bring it up, but don't bigoted jerkwads say that about lesbians?

    Also, consider this: unless he said he has sex with each woman every night, how does anyone know he's a "sex addict"? My partner and I sleep together every night but we certainly don't have sex every night. And if we did, how is a monogamous person having sex every night with one partner any different than a poly person having sex with a different partner every night? It might be with extra people, but that to me doesn't make one a sex addict.

    "There was a fair amount of condescension involved, but I can't really blame Oprah for that. I would talk to these people exactly the same way."

    ... Good to know? :/

    "I think these women have some serious self-esteem problems"

    Why? Just because they share a partner? Because that alone really isn't proof of low self-esteem. IMO, a girl (or guy!) who hops around from partner to partner each time something "better" comes along has more issues than a person who admits they are poly and works hard to take care of their family responsibilities.

    As for taking advantage... how? One monogamous relationship is a lot of work. If you have four partners, not only do you have four relationships to worry about... you also have to worry about them all getting along with each other, and worry about them getting along with the kids, AND worry about the kids all getting along.

    It's not easy. Period. And it's not something a person goes into just to get laid some more.

    (cont)

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I never once heard them say a word about how their faith plays into this."

    As I said before, good time to actually have seen the show. One of the wives stated cameras weren't allowed in the latest wedding because a lot of their religion was private. I assume this holds true for talking about it to outsiders as well. They don't talk about it a lot because it's not in their faith to do so.

    "this father, the sower of the seed"

    They're not all his kids, just saying.

    "These people are weird. I hate that they're getting publicity."

    It's too bad you feel that way, because I think poly people have just as much to teach and share with the world as monogamous people do. I can understand that the concept is strange, and I don't agree with everything the people on the show say/do, but polygamy was actually popular first... waaay before monogamy became the "in" thing. And for a good reason-- it made sense, and it still makes sense.


    Not for everyone, of course, but I do wish people would be a bit more accepting and not be quick to toss the "weird" label on things.

    Unless you mean THESE people in general, but that wasn't the impression I got from the statement.

    "I refuse to watch the TLC show"

    Which is also a shame, because there's a lot said here that I think could be cleared up by seeing the show. Not that I expect everyone to watch/read what they're talking about, but it adds a level of knowledge that I feel is quite important.

    "How a woman could sleep with a man that has two other wives is beyond me."

    How a person could only have one partner forever and ever is beyond me.

    "All it is is a glorified form of adultry, and that is demeaning to the sanctity of marriage."

    Er... No. Adultery is cheating, and having more than one relationship where everyone agrees to it and is comfortable with it is not cheating. As for the sanctity of marriage, come again? Marriage has not always been a one man one woman deal; many cultures have been involved in plural marriages for thousands of years, and it was actually the ideal for a very long time.

    Love is different for everyone. So is marriage. Just because it isn't a valid option in your belief system doesn't mean it IS NOT a valid option.

    "The women are willing victims of abuse."

    They have a roof over their head, food in the fridge, education, clothing, modern appliances, cars, a safe place to sleep, a strong support system and fairly responsible, intelligent children who love them... children who are clothed, sheltered, fed, in school, and seem to be very well loved. Their husband, though at times a bit insensitive as a lot of guys tend to be (I should know, I am one and I am engaged to one), really does seem to love and cherish his wives and his children.

    Using Lifetime movies as comparisons is not a good idea, by the way. :/

    Anyhow...

    (cont)

    ReplyDelete
  9. As I said at the beginning, it just makes me sad that people who have never even seen the show... or have seen maybe one or two... are judging this family. I don't think they deserve the nasty remarks some people have made, especially considering the guy is TRYING to take care of things. That's more than some MONOGAMOUS ("monogamous") fathers do. After seeing ever episode thus far, I can safely say there seems to be a lot of love there... and dedication. Some things have made me frown a bit, but that's more because of religious/ideological differences than anything else.

    I wish there were more examples of safe, sane and consensual poly families on TV... but there isn't. These people are better than many, and I'm not ashamed to point them out as a decent example of how a successful poly relationship works.

    If people think it's so bad... Well, they can go watch "Cheaters" and see how all those wonderful, loving, caring, successful monogamous relationships are working out.

    Point being... monogamy is fine for people who want that. But polygamy is fine too, when done right. The Brown family, as far as I can see, IS doing it right.

    Oprah can say whatever she likes, but after seeing some of her other episodes... I no longer take her seriously nor respect her opinion. Asking a transman if taking testosterone makes someone grow testicles? Having some abused "satanic jewish cult" woman on there saying they made her kill babies the cult "bred"? No thank you, I'll go find my facts and form my opinions elsewhere...

    Sorry for the double post way up there (internet glitched), and sorry for the rant. I just wish people could live a happy, healthy live AND try to share their lives with others without getting looked down on. especially if they're not doing anything really WRONG. :/ Sometimes the only way people are even aware of something is if it's on TV...

    Meh.

    ReplyDelete